The current and ongoing initiatives of FGTA include:
- Providing resource information about drugs, treatment and help available to parents and families who are affected by drug use, through our website and The Coping Kit
- Representing the voice of families dealing with addiction in every forum available
- Working with other groups to open new treatment centres
- Raising awareness with various levels of government, health authorities, and other health related agencies of the need for detoxification facilities and treatment on demand
- Working to raise awareness in the general public that drug addiction is a disease and not a choice
- Regular meetings of our support group, Parents Forever, and dissemination of the “Parents in Action” manual, to help establish new support groups.
The Society’s president reports on the year’s progress at each annual general meeting. In terms of measurable outcomes, these activities represent work towards three main goals. These key results areas (KRA’s) are:
1. Advocacy and raising awareness
3. Building internal capacity
KRA 1 – Advocacy and Raising Awareness
Goal 1 – Write federal election messaging that supports the positions of the Canadian Drug Policy Coalition on evidence-based harm reduction, including the merits of supervised injection (citing Insite successes) and special access to illegal drugs when they are the treatment of last resort, as in SALOME.
Goal 2 – Connect with BC provincial government and elected officials.
Goal 3 – Update the website to support family information needs, advocacy efforts, and research.
Goal 4 – Promote the inclusion of concurrent disorders within the health field and other communities.
- Give voice to issues about concurrent disorders within health and other communities.
- Promote awareness about concurrent disorders issues within the health care system.
- Promote dialogue between public health systems and families about concurrent disorders.
Goal 5 – Research, explore, network and present the efforts of our areas of interest with recommendations.
Goal 6 – Sit on various committees, boards and forums to disseminate our messages and further our KRA goals. Current committees and boards:
- Community Action Initiative
- Youth Alcohol and Drug Agencies
- BC Alliance on Mental Health and Addictions
- Smart Families
- Family at the Centre
- Emergency Room Mental Health and Addiction Reforms
- Family Advisory Committee – Vancouver Coastal Health
- CRISM Canadian Research Initiative in Substance Misuse (CRISM)
KRA 2 – Support – You Are Not Alone
Goal 1– Distribution of printed copies of the Coping Kit
Goal 2 – Website updates and maintenance
Goal 3 – Ongoing liaison with Frances Kenny at Parents Forever
KRA 3 – Building Internal Capacity
Goal 1 – Refine and implement our fund-raising plan
Goal 2 – Board, volunteer and subcommittee recruitment
Goal 3 – Membership and AGM promotion
Goal 4 – Policies and Procedures manual updates as needed
OUR PUBLIC POLICY DIRECTIONS
The Board of FGTA has created a statement of the most pressing issues that government has the capacity to resolve in order to relieve unfair burdens on the families of people with an addiction disorder or concurrent disorders.